It is one of those random evenings, that I am playing scrabble not giving thoughts to anything, then a message pops, “Nimmoh, what would you tell your younger self?”
If you don’t have deep friends who drop you such messages, then who are your friends?lol kidding, but, yes my friend needed 10 or more things I’d tell a younger me.
I drop my scrabble and start wondering, by the way, what would I tell a younger me? I have realized I have a bunch of things that i would tell a younger me. So here they are, what would you tell your younger self?
1.The world owes you nothing!Just do you.
2. The only legit legacy to leave in this world is kindness,so be kind. People don’t give because they have much, they give because they are kind and human.
3. Discipline and Constistency is the bridge between goals and accomplishment, stick to it.
4.Live like you mean it. Invest more time in the things you love.Engage this life with passion and gratitude. None of us know how long our lives may be. Travel, dance in the rain, visit your parents as much as you can, exercise, eat all you’ve wished, just live best you know how. (Sounds incorrect, but, you get the point😉.)
Also, on this, people don’t travel because they have money, they travel because they purpose to.
5. Keep a journal or an album or just something for memories. Just develop the habit of keeping a regular record of what’s important in your life.
6. Live a story that lasts an eternity. Love yourself more than anything else, everyone can give up on you except yourself.
7.Don’t take a job that sucks the life outof you, no matter how well it pays and don’t stay in a place that drains you mentally. Anywhere, be it a toxic workplace, toxic friendships, toxic parents, toxic relationships. Love yourself.
8. Stay where you’re wanted. Don’t be with people who don’t appreciate your worth. And dont be apologetic for leaving!
9.In the end, everything is going to be OK – Sometimes life can be a struggle and it can feel it’s not going get better soon, but, it gets better.
10. Don’t have any expectations. Your best friend will walk out on you, your closest friends will con you, just drop all your expectations.
11. Take care of your money and it will take care of you! Save more, and still live a little. Take risks too.
12. Find a mentor and create the right network as early as you can. Find someone who epitomizes what you would like to be.Have older more achieved friends and circle
13. Your colleagues are not your friends. In most cases not all but, this is such a huge lesson for me.
14. READ!Read every day. Read everything you can. Don’t just read about things you know about. Read about people, places, things. READ. Read people.
15. Fail a lot. Fail at work, fail at friendships, fail at home, fail at investments, fail at business, fail at sex😂😂 just fail, but, learn. Learn lessons that you will carry to your grave.
16.Spend money on experiences, not things. Things have a shelf life, but, experiences live with us forever.Experience is the teacher of all things.
17.Run your own race Don’t compare yourself with anyone, everyone’s journey is cut out differently. Your friends will start a post grad immediately, your other friends will get married immediately after school while others will get married at 50. Just ensure you’re not stagnant.Grow at your pace and swim in your direction.
18.Have patience. Nothing of value is built in a minute. Plan in decades, think in years, work in months, but, live today. Life is a marathon, not a sprint.
19.Be gentle. Speak to yourself in more loving and encouraging ways. Your inner dialogue is the most powerful voice you hear. Turn down the volume of the critic so the voice of your inner knowing gets louder.
20.No need to think outside the box, because there is no box.